You are here: Home | Regular and family | Money


Guidance and support

Under the Armed Forces Covenant you shouldn't be commercially disadvantaged as a result of your service.  Financial top tips for service personnel gives help on credit ratings, mortgages and loans, motor and home insurance, mobile and TV contracts. If you feel you've been disadvantaged in this respect contact your Army or RAF Families Federation for advice.

If you're dealing directly with a provider find out if they've signed the Covenant and what they pledged. Identify yourself as a member of the Armed Forces community and be aware that front line staff may not know about the Covenant so you may need to be persistent and explain this. 

Jobcentre Plus and Universal Credit

Universal Credit full service is now in operation in Moray and Highland. If you need help with your application contact

Local money advice service

If you prefer to talk to someone in person, these organisations have local branches and offer advice on money management and other practical matters including benefits, pensions, housing and employment.

  • Armed Services Advice Project (ASAP) provides independant, confidential advice to the Armed Forces community in Scotland with branches in Elgin, Nairn and Inverness. They also have an outreach service at the military units in Moray and Highland
  • Poppyscotland offers tailored support and funding for the Armed Forces community with a dedicated welfare centre in Inverness
  • SSAFA  gives practical and emotional support with branches in Inverness, Kinloss and a dedicated team on base at RAF Lossiemouth
  • Veterans Welfare Services (VWS) gives one to one help and support and has a representative for north of Scotland based at RAF Lossiemouth
Other support organisations
Pensions advice